Monday, February 19, 2018

Preparing for Belize- Britton

I have just come to the realization that we leave in 12 days, that is less than 2 weeks. I have yet to start packing, I have no idea how many pair of pants to bring. Other than the packing part, I believe I am as prepared as I can be for the trip. After reading the book Understanding Belize, I have a good idea about the people that live there, how they began to live there. I am so excited to be able to see the animals and be able to experience the culture of Belize. I am excited to go, and experience new things with my classmates.

My absolute favorite thing to do is spend time on my family farm with all my beef cattle. I absolutely love beef cattle, they are my all-time favorite animal. I love teaching others about the beef industry, and livestock in general. I can’t wait to be able to observe how the livestock industry is different in Belize. I am so excited to be able to see different livestock, or any animals in Belize. It is so interesting to me to see how livestock differs in different places. I am so excited to be able to experience the Zoo, and to see different animals that are known in Belize.

There has been so much knowledge thrown at me over the past weeks. The DIY projects really got me thinking. I love watching, listening, and learning from others whom have done research that they enjoy. I loved learning about the different animals, the education system, and the water systems in the country of Belize. All of the Projects will become important to us in 12 days. In 12 days all of the information that was thrown at me will become a reality.

Dr. Webster inspired me in so many ways, mainly by being so passionate about his work with the Mayan culture. He has done and discovered so many incredible things, but he was so humble about all the information that he has shared with us. He share how important maize is to the Mayan culture (I had no idea maize was important). He was so interesting to listen to and so easy to follow when he was speaking.

The Culture simulation activity that was done in class was the most influential part of the class thus far. The simulation taught me not to be so proud of my own culture that I am missing out on a new culture. It showed me how different cultures could be and how to understand a different culture. It really opened my eyes at how easy it could be to be disrespectful and not even know. This was a great activity to do before traveling to a new country.

This is going to be an amazing experience, and I couldn’t be more excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment