Monday, January 22, 2018

Introduction - Britton Bracken


My name is Britton Bracken, some people call me Britt. I was born and raised on my family’s beef cattle farm, I am the 4th generation farmer. I come from a very rural setting, there were 84 kids in my graduating class. On my farm we raise feeder cattle from about 400 pounds and then sell them to Cargill at about 1500 pounds. I absolutely love my cows, but I learned not to get too attached. I also have 3 miniature donkeys, 3 dogs, and an abundant amount of barn cats. I love animals, my dad says I can’t bring anything else home. My grandfather has been the one that has taught me the most about agriculture, in the summer I spend every day with him, learning and helping him with the crops. We raise, corn, soybeans and hay.
I love working on the farm, I have begun to live by this quote by Steve Jobs “Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.” I am also a member of the Indiana County Herb Study Group. I love learning new things about plants that can be eaten. It was my grandmother that got me involved in the club, because I love to garden, and use herbs in my cooking.

I am going to Penn State university and majoring in agricultural and extension education. I was involved in FFA all through high school. My agriculture advisor always pushed me to do better and bigger things while being involved in the organization. I got my keystone degree my senior year and then went on and got my American degree this past October. It was my FFA advisor that inspired me to become an agriculture educator myself. It was the way she pushed everyone to do their best, and she had such a passion to watch her students learn.

I am an active member of The Blacklick United Methodists Church mission team. A few years ago, the team traveled to Belize to complete some mission work. I was still in high school, so I couldn’t travel with them. When the team got back I saw pictures, of the beautiful and interesting country. I was totally bummed that I couldn’t have traveled along. Ever since I have wanted to travel to Belize and get to experience the country and the culture for myself.  My grandmother and grandfather have traveled the world, and they inspire me to learn and experience other cultures and other countries. As soon as I told my grandmother about this opportunity she has been encouraging me to take part in it.

I am so excited to learn more about the culture and the agriculture that Belize has to offer. This experience will really benefit me as an educator. I think I will really be able to push my students out of their comfort zone, if I take a leap myself. This experience will broaden my horizon of knowledge for world agriculture.

No comments:

Post a Comment