Monday, January 22, 2018

Introduction: Gillian Warner


Hi! Welcome to my first blog post as I start my adventure to Belize! My name is Gillian
Warner, and I’m currently a freshman at Penn State in the College of Agricultural Sciences. I
decided I wanted to get an early start on a study abroad experience, and I am so excited to begin
with a trip to Belize over spring break.

My family has always been interested in travel, so having those new experiences and
seeing different cultures and traditions has always been important to me. Through family trips, I
have been to Canada, Mexico, France, Italy, Austria, and Germany.

While I was in Austria, I stayed in a family friend’s house with their family. They had a
few younger kids who were absolutely fascinated with us. We spoke differently than they did
and we probably looked and acted slightly differently as well. When I woke up in the morning,
their seven year-old daughter was propped up against the side of the couch I was staying on, her
face resting in the palm of her hands. When she realized I was looking back at her, she
immediately ducked down so all I could see were her eyes. She sat there blinking at me. A
simple “Hello” from me sent her rushing into the other room with her parents.

This natural curiosity and uncertainty is why I believe travel is so important. When in a
new place or presented with someone or something that seems different than you are used to,
sometimes we aren’t sure how to act. It can be uncomfortable if everything seems new to you,
but I believe that we must learn about, work to understand, and appreciate the differences that
make us unique in order to use all of our strengths to better our world. The more we can try to be
empathetic with one another, the more we will understand each other, our motives, and solutions
to issues facing the world that impacts all of us.

We need to find a way to connect and the best way to begin that is to step outside of your
comfort zone and say hello .

Travel definitely runs in my family. In addition to family trips, my dad travels a lot for
work in environmental conservation, my sister is studying abroad this summer in Amsterdam,
and my mom works here at Penn State as the Assistant Dean in the College of Ag for
International Programs. I feel so lucky to have grown up with the opportunity and support to
explore the world.

Once I heard about the trip to Belize, I knew this embedded course would be great for
me. Some of my other passions include riding horses, taking care of my dog, and working
around the farm.

A course that will teach me indigenous knowledge of agriculture will open my mind,
allow me to see other perspectives, and allow me to see, understand, and make connections about
life, culture, and agriculture in different areas around the world. I can’t wait to get to Belize and
experience everything with students who are also passionate about travel and agriculture! I hope
you’ll continue to read our blog and join us as we prepare for, experience, and reflect on this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment