Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Introduction : Sarah Miller

Hello. My name is Sarah Miller and I am currently a super senior (fifth year) at Penn State. I will be graduating with an Agricultural Science degree that includes International Agriculture and Sustainability Leadership as my minors. I began my journey five years ago thinking about what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, and I have grown many interests since that initial day at PSU Berks campus.

Through coming to college I have grown into many new hobbies and interests, like horses. I joined the PSU Berks Western Equestrian Club before coming to the PSU Western Equestrian Team here at University Park. The picture to the right is Gunner, my horse, and myself a couple summers back, when I first bought him. He was bought from an auction and has not specification of breed or age, but is apart of the many things that Penn State has opened doors to.

Traveling has also become a passion of mine through Penn State. In just the last couple of years, I have traveled to New Zealand and Ecuador for different volunteer opportunities that I have found through the University. At the beginning of these experiences I did not think about the learning aspect of the trip, but have learned a lot while being immersed in a different culture. I think Belize will be a great immersive learning experience, just like my past trips.

In Ecuador I learned how intricate a language barrier can be on a personal level, but I also see this as part of the experience in non-English speaking countries. If everything was simply explained, the hands-on understanding would not be perceived the same way.

What I think I most look forward to about the trip is being able to interact with the different people throughout the week. I have met many people during my travels that have become amazing parts to my life, whether they know it or not. Learning but also memories are what is to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment