Saturday, March 3, 2018

Day 1: Really though, why??? (Foster)

We made it! I am very excited to be with 8 wonderful students and two great colleagues in Belize to learn about indigenous knowledge through agricultural education, formal, non-formal or informal! As a reminder, you can follow along on our adventure with the hashtag "#TeachAgBelize" and on this blog where two posts will be shared daily during our experience.


But why? As many of you know, Melanie and I are not exactly loaded with free time. I have to acknowledge when I make a choice for a learning adventure (no matter how awesome) some other part of my life is "losing" time (Luckily, Melanie is in Mexico with her INTAD 820 students).

I see the why already, I see it:

  • In the eyes of our students as they see how much there is to learn and the excitement to engage!
  • In the actions and words of my colleagues, John (@jce122) and O.P.(@OPMcubbins) who build enthusiasm through their genuine, sincere actions.
  • In the reactions already of our incredible hosts, @CELABelize (http://www.celabelize.com/),  who are so proud to share the amazing things about their country with us!


It is so much for fun for me to able to take students and see the impact agricultural education can have on the lives of individuals AND communities. This is not dependent on context!!! I am so excited that we will be exploring agricultural education delivered in formal settings (public schools); non-formal settings (like 4-H and Extension programming!) and informal settings (like zoos, and community work).





All of this work in teaching and learning....all of it....help us advance our dream of making a positive difference in the lives of students through food, fiber, and natural resource education.

I know we will have great things to share after our daily impactful learning activities followed by great daily reflection sessions!

Happy Spring Break y'all!
Daniel
@FosterDanielD 

Daniel Foster is an agricultural teacher educator at Penn State University. He can be reached via email at foster@psu.edu 





No comments:

Post a Comment