Saturday, March 10, 2018

Day 6: Manuel's Farm (Gillian)

Visiting Manuel's farm in Laguna on Thursday showed the values found within the Mayan community and served as a good reminder of values that I find important and hope to strive for in my life as well. Hard work, community, peace, and protection of the natural resources are just some key values that I was lucky enough to see in practice.

There's no doubt that Manuel works hard. His beautiful farm is covered with plants and crops that he cares for, manages, and harvests. Situated with terrain and heat and a number of different obstacles such as narrow paths, Manuel spends a lot of time working with his extensive knowledge to keep the farm running. Meanwhile, he also works to prepare for the future by planting for his children to take over once they come back to the farm after education.

A strong sense of community was also found throughout the day. Manuel and the family I had lunch with discussed the importance of helping one another. A perfect example is replacing the thatched roof every few years. If a few men come together, they can complete the whole process in half a day! It definitely shows that we're stronger as a team, something I've seen within our group this week as well. We have all become close and help each other out to make sure we're prepared for the experience... and have enough sunscreen!

Although it might not have been obvious, there was a sense of peace at the farm. I've heard many times that being outside is good for the mind and body, and Manuel's description of his connection to the land truly shows that belief. He feels that by eating what he produces and drinking the water from the creek he has remained healthy. Connecting to the natural world that way is incredibly powerful and cleansing. I know I've felt my worries drift away when I'm outside!

Finally, protecting that connection with nature requires the protection of natural resources. Hearing that conservation is a value within the community is really inspiring as it's something I care about deeply as well.

This farm visit was very special to me as it gave me the opportunity to learn about and see values of the Mayan community in practice. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I value similar things. Finding common ground and similarities despite some differences helps us to understand, appreciate, and further connections. I'm excited to apply this new information in future interactions!

Gillian Warner is a freshman majoring in an interdisciplinary major
in the College of Agricultural Sciences at Penn State.

No comments:

Post a Comment