Monday, March 5, 2018

Day 3: A Breath of Fresh Air (Erin)

Belize is truly a place that can take your breath away.

In my case, it literally did just that as we walked up steep terrain during out first farm visit of the day. With each step I found it increasingly more difficult to catch my breath, and mixed with the panic that caused, and the intense heat, I definitely wasn't feeling confident in my ability to reach the top. I looked up at the path ahead of me, fearful of being unable to make it. One step, two steps, breathe; over and over again. But in the end, I simply couldn't do it.

Sometimes, it's frustrating to know your limits. It's frustrating to want to extend yourself farther than you're able to go. It's frustrating to realize that sometimes you can't do something, regardless of how badly you want to. When I decided to turn around, I felt (and still feel) that frustration. I knew that the top of that pathway, was a beautiful view, and all I wanted to do was see it. But in a way,  that frustration distracted me from seeing the beauty around me in the present moment. 


Our bracelets from CELA Belize. 
Yesterday, our first full day in the country, we received bracelets from CELA Belize, who has played a major role in the planning of this trip. Each seed represents a different sentiment, but overall, the bracelet is there to serve as a reminder to stay anchored in the present moment. Throughout the day, I kept thinking about the bracelet and it's significance. Yes, I was frustrated, but I was also standing in the middle of a field filled with plants I had never tasted, or seen before. I was watching monarch butterflies fly around coconut trees, and I saw iguanas resting on branches. I was taking it in, all in real time, but not fully appreciating it. 

We only have a finite amount of time here in Belize, and as the days pass in what feels like seconds, I'm learning to appreciate it all. The good, the bad, and everything in between. I'm coming to terms with the fact that not everything will be perfect, and realizing that it's imperfect moments where we learn and grow the most.


Honestly, the pictures don't do it justice. 
One of the most beautiful parts of our day today, stemmed from an imperfect moment. We had left our first farm tour, and traveled to a second farm for lunch. When we got there, lunch was just starting to be made. As a group, we passed the time by sitting by a nearby river. The view was like something out of a children's story book. It was wide open, and beautiful. A breeze that took the heat off our minds, and let us really appreciate the moment. It really was like a breath of fresh air. A refresher from the heat of the morning before. 

All in all, Belize is beautiful. The people here have been nothing but kind, and welcoming, and the raw beauty is fascinating.  I'm excited to experience more of the perfectly, imperfect. I'm honestly thankful for the ups and downs throughout this experience, because I firmly believe that I'm learning more than I would without them. Here's to more adventures! 





Erin Langdale is a Sophomore studying Agricultural and Extension Education at Penn State. 


2 comments:

  1. Erin, what has been your biggest takeaway about the connection of agriculture and education in Belize thus far? What is the local animal agriculture comprised of?

    ReplyDelete