Saturday, March 3, 2018

Day 1: #TeachAgBelize and Hot Sauce Selections (John)

When I was reminded that I was on deck to provide a blog (thanks Dr. Foster) for our first day in Belize, I had mixed emotions. I knew that it was important for me to contribute to the blog, since we were asking our students to do the same throughout the week. Also, I was glad that I would be able to share that we made it to our destination without any trouble and that we even made our connection with our colleague from Tennessee Technical University at the airport right on time. However, I was also a bit worried about what else I could share that would be of interest to those that are following us for the week. That question was answered with our first meal in Belize!

Our restaurant, Hode's Place, was a short walk from our hotel and the food was great! I enjoyed my fresh squeezed orange juice, and even tried a bit of Sour Sop. The main options for the evening were burritos or quesadillas. With these two options (really any options), we all knew Dr. Foster would be having hot sauce with his dinner, but the question he had to ask himself was, "which one"? Well, as we all knew (again), he could not just sample one. I'll be honest... I wasn't sure which one to try. I watched a few others at the table give their feedback on hotness, and then I settled on trying two of the "medium" selections. They were perfect for me, and I think that dinner and the hot sauces may set the tone for the week.

You may be saying, really, Ewing "hot sauce" and an embedded trip to Belize. Where is this headed? Well, I see it this way... when we are not sure of something it is o.k. to see what others do, and how they handle the situation; especially when you know that they have more experience than you. Then it is time for you to take action with this new knowledge.

So, don't be afraid to try new things and learn from others... you may just be very glad you did when you take that first bite of your burrito (or experience your first embedded course with 8 amazing students and 2 great colleagues)!

John Ewing is an agricultural teacher educator at Penn State University. He can be reached via email at jce122@psu.edu

2 comments:

  1. Dr. Ewing, you should write more blogs. This is GREAT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angie. I appreciate the positive reinforcement! I may just make it a goal of mine for the coming year to write more.

    ReplyDelete