Saturday, March 10, 2018

Day 8: Banana Trees? No Way! (Olivia)


On our final day in the beautiful country of Belize, we concluded with an exciting tour of Bunches of Fun banana farm, which was something that I was particularly interested in considering my academic emphasis on plant sciences. I went into the tour unsure of how I would be able to connect tropical fruit agriculture with American farming practices; however, I quickly realized that there were far more similarities than differences.

First, our tour guide Evin was an Oklahoma native who did her undergraduate in Agricultural Communications from Oklahoma State University. Clad in her Twisted X moccasins and bright blonde hair, I couldn't help but see a little bit of myself in her. The Belizean transplant found her way to the Caribbean country through an internship, similar to my recent international internship experience in Norway this past summer. 

Throughout the tour, Evin taught us about the morphology of banana plants, common production practices, and environmental stewardship efforts. The first thing that I learned is that bananas are a member of the grass family, so technically there is no such thing as a banana tree because it lacks a woody stem. This is similar to American grains, such as corn and wheat, which are also members of the grass family. 

She also taught us that field waste is composted for six months and then reapplied to banana plants in the field so that nutrients that are taken from the plant can be reintroduced to the soil. I know that all of the students on the trip are interested in environmental conservation and stewardship so this particular aspect of the tour really resonated with my fellow students and me. 

Belize has been an incredible opportunity for me to expand upon my appreciation of global agricultural systems. Agriculture has played a vital role in the development of each and every society, but this trip has taught me that agriculture doesn't necessarily have to look "American" in order for it to be productive. Previously, I never would have considered bananas as a critical part of the global agricultural systems. However, I have now realized that agriculture takes many shapes and sizes. Many thanks to my new friend Evin for teaching me that valuable lesson. Go Pokes!

Olivia is a sophomore majoring in Agricultural Sciences at Penn State 

No comments:

Post a Comment