Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Return Thoughts: Looking Back to Look Forward (Gillian)

Our time in Belize flew by, and I find myself reflecting on a great trip packed with lessons and memories while I shiver from the freezing temperatures and snow in Pennsylvania. I already miss the experiences and sun in Belize but I am so lucky to have had this opportunity and look back on it as a good memory.

Listen, ask, and Experience (to learn!)
Our study abroad trip was way more than just a week-long trip though. I learned lessons and grew as a person, both of which I know will help me down the road, no matter where I go.

I learned how to talk with people. I knew how to before, but not with the same engagement and connection as I experienced in Belize. By finding similarities between us instead of dividing people due to differences, I grew closer to people I had just met and became more comfortable with the conversations once I realized we are all quite similar. I believe this understanding and comfort helped open the conversations to deeper explanations, more questions, and furthered our learning. I can use this lesson to connect with people when I travel, but also around my own town as well. By making connections and deepening conversations and relationships, I will be able to interact with people better, a skill that will be useful in personal or professional relationships, or in daily life.

I learned how to ask questions. Every evening we began to think about what was coming up for the next day and what we were curious about. Allowing myself to think ahead to come prepared allowed me to ask questions that reflected my interest, curiosity, and led to deeper conversations. The ability to ask questions will help me connect with people, explore new experiences, and will deepen my understanding of the things around me.


Not only were the farms producing, but they were absolutely beautiful too!
I learned about agriculture. As the main topic of this trip, this lesson was a bit more expected than the rest, but exciting nonetheless. Touring various types of farms throughout Belize helped me understand similarities and differences within Belizean agriculture and also between agriculture in Belize and the United States. I was quite impressed with the intense knowledge that each farmer has about their farm and their ability to use their lands in a variety of ways: by growing a large variety of crops, by planting trees in specific areas to not only provide fruit but a natural fence line and shade for animals as well, or harvesting for the now while planting and preparing for the future generations to farm.

I also furthered my conversations by asking questions throughout the tours, leading to great questions and answers to my questions. For example, at Mr. Juan’s farm, we started talking about his use of horses in the tourism side of his farm. When he asked what breeds of horses I have and learned that I have quarter horses, we immediately talked about the numerous benefits of the breed and how they are one of his favorites too! However, he did not share my enthusiasm for the thoroughbred which led to more of a pro/con discussion.


The people made this trip extra great!
I learned a lot about myself too and grew in necessary areas for the future. Going into this trip, I was pretty nervous about my ability to travel to the country and then manage everything once I got there. I’ve traveled around the country a lot and have gone out of the country a handful of times, but every trip out of the country has been with my family. This added responsibility posed a new challenge to me, one that I was able to handle! With the support from the professors and other students, the trip went very well. I gained confidence in my ability to travel and manage myself in another country. With this new confidence, I also gained independence as I became more comfortable and felt much better by stepping out of my comfort zone by the end of the trip. Personal growth will help me in my future adventures and travels but also in my school, work, hobbies, relationships… everything!


The lessons were numerous and this trip has definitely been filled with learning and fun. I’m excited to use my new knowledge to connect with people wherever I go while being confident in myself and my abilities. While I miss Belize, the people we met, and the experiences we had, I’m excited to apply these lessons now and in the future. I am so appreciative of this trip and to everyone who made it possible. I’m looking forward to what’s next!

Gillian Warner is a freshman majoring in an interdisciplinary major in the College of Agriculture Sciences at Penn State.


No comments:

Post a Comment